School Age Program
- With this age group we still need to teach them how to control their breathing and the water will always hold them up provided they have not blown out the air inside their lungs.
The confidence that comes from knowing they will not fall down to the bottom of the pool and they will always float on top of the water then allows our teachers to.
- Teach your child the correct leg movement (kicking)
- How to bring their arms out of the water after their hand reaches their thigh at the back end of the stroke, and then move their arms through the air and place their hand in the correct position to start the next stroke.
- Make sure your child is able to maintain the correct leg speed while their arms work. At this stage in swimming lessons your child is learning the correct timing for freestyle (crawl stroke).
- Once they have mastered the timing they are then taught the correct way to exhale their breath under the water and then inhale the same amount of air.
- The last stage in your child’s basic skill development is to learn to apply the newly learned breathing techniques to being able to turn their head to the side to take a breath without losing the timing their legs and arms need to maintain.
- After you child demonstrates they can perform at this skill for 6.25m they then taught how easy it is to apply this skill for longer distances e.g. 12.5m.
- Once they have mastered freestyle (crawl stroke) over a distance of 12.5m they then start to learn the other strokes. Backstroke, Breastroke and Butterfly.
- From executing these skill for distances of 12.5m a progression to relatively longer non stop distances are introduced into the program to the point where a child can swim up to 100m without stopping.
Back to Swim Programs
I would like to put in writing my appreciation for administrative and swim instructor team at Warner...
After 6 years of fabulous swimming lessons with you without a single break, thanks for all that you have...
Ted started with you 3 weeks ago and i just wanted to say I am beyond impressed with your school and in...